- J. Fan, S. Li, Z. Wu, and Z. Chen (2018) Diffusion and mixing in microfluidic devices, in Microfluidics for Pharmaceutical Applications: From Nano/Micro Systems Fabrication to Controlled Drug Delivery, edited by H. Santos, D. Liu, and H. Zhang, Elsevier, Oxford.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
^equal contribution | +student advised | *corresponding author
- Ruiz-Garcia+, M. C.-Sarabia, S. G.-Jimeno, C. Wen+, A. Anbari+, D. Maspoch, E. G.-Montoya, and J. Fan* (2020), Efficient microfluidic co-encapsulation of NADHVitamin Cphosphatidylserine and coenzyme Q10 in monodisperse giant unilamellar vesicles (GUVs), in submission.
- K. Jiang+, Y. Dong+, C. Gao+, M. Huang+, C. Wen+, A. Anbari+, A. Kanthe, C. Maldarelli, and J. Fan* (2020), Self-secured, Multilayered Flow Focusing Microcapillary Device Provides Facile Assembly and Potential Standardization.
- L. Wang+, M. Wang, G. Wan, X. Guo, X. Xie, W. Liu, Y. Zhang, J. Fan, X. Hou, Z. Chen* (2020), Porosity-tunable structures with “fossilized” bubbles, ACS Applied Polymer Materials, 2(2)497-504.
- S. Li+, H. Yu, T.-D. Li, Z. Chen, W. Deng, A. Anbari+, and J. Fan* (2020), Understanding transport of an elasticspherical particle through a confining channel, Applied Physics Letters, 116103705.
- C. Zeng, W. Deng*, J. Fan, K. Liu (2020), Investigation of the Resonance of Nonwetting Droplet in Constricted Capillary Tubes, Geophysics, 85(2)ID1. [External Link]
- C. Zeng, W. Deng*, J. Fan*, and Y. Zhang (2020), Effect of flow profiles on the flow subjected to oscillation forcing: an example of droplet mobilization in constricted tubes, Journal of Hydrology, 583124295. [External Link]
- C.-P. Spatarelu^, H. Zhang^, D. T. Nguyen^, X. Han, R. Liu, Q. Guo, J. Notbohm, J. Fan, L. Liu, Z. Chen* (2019), Biomechanics of Collective Cell Migration in Cancer Progression– Experimental and Computational Methods., ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 5(8)3766-3787.
- L. Wang^+, D. Wang^, S. Huang^, X. Guo, G. Wan, J. Fan and Z. Chen* (2019), Controllable Shape Changing and Distinct tri-stability of Bilayer Composite., ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 11 (18): 16881-16887.
- G. Zhou, G. Yang, X. Li, B. Chen, J. Fan, X. Hou, and S. Zhou* (2018), A flexible polymer ultra-fine fiber with extreme toughness, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 10(17)14276-14280.
- A. Anbari+, H.-T. Chien+, S. S. Datta*, W. Deng, D. A. Weitz, and J. Fan* (2018), Microfluidic model porous media: fabrication and applications , Small, 14(18)1703575.
- X. Guo, L. Wang+, K. Duval, J. Fan, S. Zhou, and Z. Chen* (2018), Dimeric drug polymeric micelles with acid-active tumor targeting and FRET-indicated drug release, Advanced Materials, 30(3)1705436.
- D. Chen, E. Amstad, C. X. Zhao, L. Cai, J. Fan, Q. Chen, M. Hai, S. Koehler, H. Zhang, F. Liang, Z. Yang, and D. A. Weitz* (2017), Biocompatible amphiphilic hydrogel-solid dimer particles as colloidal surfactants, ACS Nano, 11(12)11978-11985.
- L. Wang, D. Chen, K. G. Gutierrez-Cuevas, H. K. Bisoyi, J. Fan, R. S. Zola, G. Li, A. M. Urbas, T. J. Bunning, D. A. Weitz, and Q. Li* (2017), Optically reconfigurable chiral microspheres of self-organized helical superstructures with handedness inversion, Materials Horizons, 41190-1195.
- J. Fan^, S.-H. Kim^, Z. Chen, S. Zhou, E. Amstad, T. Lin, and D. A. Weitz* (2017), Creation of faceted polyhedral microgels from compressed emulsions, Small, 131701256.
- Y. He, S. Battat+, J. Fan, A. Abbaspourrad, and D. A. Weitz* (2017), Preparation of microparticles through co-flowing of partially miscible liquids, Chemical Engineering Journal , 320144-150.
- C. Zhao*, J. Fan, D. Chen, Y. Xu, and T. Wang (2016), Microfluidics-generated graphene oxide microspheres and their application to removal of perfluorooctane sulfonate from polluted water, Nano Research, 9(3)866-875.
- C-H. Choi, H. Lee, A. Abbaspourrad, J. H. Kim, J. Fan, M. Caggioni, C. Wesner, T. Zhu, and D. A. Weitz* (2016), Triple emulsion drops with an ultrathin water layer: high encapsulation efficiency and enhanced cargo retention in microcapsules, Advanced Materials, 28(17): 3340-3344.
- J. Fan^, Y. Li^, H. H. Bisoyi, R. S. Zola, D. Yang, T. J. Bunning, D. A. Weitz, and Q. Li* (2014), Light-directing omnidirectional circularly polarized reflection from liquid crystal droplets, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 54(7): 2160-2164.
- Selected as ‘Very Important Paper’ (VIP) of the journal
- L. Chen^, Y. Li^, J. Fan, H. K. Bisoyi, D. A. Weitz, and Q. Li* (2014), Photoresponsive monodisperse cholesteric liquid crystalline micro-shells for tunable omnidirectional lasing enabled by a visible light-driven chiral molecular switch, Advanced Optical Materials, 2(9): 845-848.
- S. Datta, A. Abbaspourrad, E. Amstad, J. Fan, S-H. Kim, M. Romanowsky, H. C. Shum, B. J. Sun, A. S. Utada, M. Windbergs, S. Zhou, and D. A. Weitz* (2014), Double emulsion template solid microcapsules: mechanics and controlled release, Advanced Materials, 26(14): 2205-2218. [PDF]
- S. B. Zhou^, J. Fan^, S. Datta, M. Guo, X. Guo, and D. A. Weitz* (2013), Thermally switched release from nanoparticle colloidosomes, Advanced Functional Materials, 23: 5925-5929. [PDF]
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2011), Heat conduction in nanofluids: structure-property correlation, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 54: 4349-4359. [PDF]
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2011), Analytical theory of bioheat transport, Journal of Applied Physics, 109(10): 104702.
- Selected for the June 12011 issue ofVirtual Journal of Biological Physics Research
- L. Q. Wang*, and J. Fan (2011), Toward nanofluids of ultra-high thermal conductivity, Nanoscale Research Letters, 6: 153. [PDF]
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2011), Review of heat conduction in nanofluids, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, 133(4): 040801.
- Top 0.1% most-cited for a 2011 article in engineering according to ISI Web of Knowledge Essential Science Indicators
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2011), A general bioheat model at macroscale, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 54(1-3): 722-726. [PDF]
- L. Q. Wang*, and J. Fan (2011), Modeling bioheat transport at macroscale, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, 133(1): 011010. [PDF]
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2010), Constructal design of nanofluids, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 53(19-20): 4238-4247. [PDF]
- L. Q. Wang*, and J. Fan (2010), Nanofluids research: key issues, Nanoscale Research Letters, 5(8): 1241-1252. [PDF]
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2010), Effective thermal conductivity of nanofluids: the effects of microstructure, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 43(16): 165501. [PDF]
- J. Fan, Y. X. Zhang, and L. Q. Wang* (2010), Formation of nanoliter bubbles in microfluidic T-junctions, NANO, 5(3): 175-184. [PDF]
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2010), Microstructural effects on macroscale thermal properties in nanofluids, NANO, 5(2): 117-125.
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2010), Is classical energy equation adequate for convective heat transfer in nanofluids?, Advances in Mechanical Engineering, 2010: 719406.
- Invited paper
- Y. X. Zhang, J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2009), Formation of nanoliter droplets in a confined microfluidic T-shaped junction: formation time and droplet volume, Current Nanoscience, 5(4): 519-526. [PDF]
- J. Fan, L. Q. Wang*, and L. Cheng (2007), Electrokinetic effects on flow and heat transfer in parallel-plate microchannels, International Journal of Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, 8(3): 335-345.
- J. Fan, L. Q. Wang*, and L. Cheng (2007), Forced convection in rectangular microchannels: electrokinetic effects, International Journal of Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, 8(3): 359-374. [PDF]
- Z. Chen and J. Fan (2020), See-through face mask and filtration system for the same, US Provisional Patent Application
- J. Fan, K. Jiang, Y. Dong, M. Huang, and C. Gao (2019) Device and method for forming an emulsion, US Provisional Patent Application, 62/892,xxx.
- D. A. Weitz, A. Abbaspourrad, J. Fan, and Weixia Zhang (2016) Systems and methods for making and using gel microspheres, U.S. Patent Publication No.: WO2017066231 A1.