- J. Fan, S. Li, Z. Wu, and Z. Chen (2018) Diffusion and mixing in microfluidic devices, in Microfluidics for Pharmaceutical Applications: From Nano/Micro Systems Fabrication to Controlled Drug Delivery, edited by H. Santos, D. Liu, and H. Zhang, Elsevier, Oxford.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
^equal contribution | +student advised | *corresponding author
- G. Zhou, G. Yang, X. Li, B. Chen, J. Fan, X. Hou, and S. Zhou* (2018), A flexible polymer ultra-fine fiber with extreme toughness, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 10(17)14276-14280.
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2011), A general bioheat model at macroscale, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 54(1-3): 722-726. [PDF]
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2011), Analytical theory of bioheat transport, Journal of Applied Physics, 109(10): 104702.
- Selected for the June 12011 issue ofVirtual Journal of Biological Physics Research
- D. Chen, E. Amstad, C. X. Zhao, L. Cai, J. Fan, Q. Chen, M. Hai, S. Koehler, H. Zhang, F. Liang, Z. Yang, and D. A. Weitz* (2017), Biocompatible amphiphilic hydrogel-solid dimer particles as colloidal surfactants, ACS Nano, 11(12)11978-11985.
- C.-P. Spatarelu^, H. Zhang^, D. T. Nguyen^, X. Han, R. Liu, Q. Guo, J. Notbohm, J. Fan, L. Liu, Z. Chen* (2019), Biomechanics of Collective Cell Migration in Cancer Progression– Experimental and Computational Methods., ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 5(8)3766-3787.
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2010), Constructal design of nanofluids, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 53(19-20): 4238-4247. [PDF]
- L. Wang^+, D. Wang^, S. Huang^, X. Guo, G. Wan, J. Fan and Z. Chen* (2019), Controllable Shape Changing and Distinct tri-stability of Bilayer Composite., ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 11 (18): 16881-16887.
- J. Fan^, S.-H. Kim^, Z. Chen, S. Zhou, E. Amstad, T. Lin, and D. A. Weitz* (2017), Creation of faceted polyhedral microgels from compressed emulsions, Small, 131701256.
- X. Guo, L. Wang+, K. Duval, J. Fan, S. Zhou, and Z. Chen* (2018), Dimeric drug polymeric micelles with acid-active tumor targeting and FRET-indicated drug release, Advanced Materials, 30(3)1705436.
- S. Datta, A. Abbaspourrad, E. Amstad, J. Fan, S-H. Kim, M. Romanowsky, H. C. Shum, B. J. Sun, A. S. Utada, M. Windbergs, S. Zhou, and D. A. Weitz* (2014), Double emulsion template solid microcapsules: mechanics and controlled release, Advanced Materials, 26(14): 2205-2218. [PDF]
- Anbari, C.-W. Chi, H.-T. Chien, Y. Liu, P. Ojimba, A.H.R. Ahmed, T.-D. Li, S. Li, C. Wen, S. Wang, Z. Chen, and J. Fan* (2021), Dual-gel dual-porosity cell culture models for understanding cell migration under interstitial fluid flow, in revision.
- C. Zeng, W. Deng*, J. Fan*, and Y. Zhang (2020), Effect of flow profiles on the flow subjected to oscillation forcing: an example of droplet mobilization in constricted tubes, Journal of Hydrology, 583124295. [External Link]
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2010), Effective thermal conductivity of nanofluids: the effects of microstructure, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 43(16): 165501. [PDF]
- Ruiz-Garcia+, M. C.-Sarabia, S. G.-Jimeno, C. Wen+, A. Anbari+, D. Maspoch, E. G.-Montoya, and J. Fan* (2020), Efficient microfluidic co-encapsulation of NADHVitamin Cphosphatidylserine and coenzyme Q10 in monodisperse giant unilamellar vesicles (GUVs), in submission.
- J. Fan, L. Q. Wang*, and L. Cheng (2007), Electrokinetic effects on flow and heat transfer in parallel-plate microchannels, International Journal of Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, 8(3): 335-345.
- J. Fan, L. Q. Wang*, and L. Cheng (2007), Forced convection in rectangular microchannels: electrokinetic effects, International Journal of Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, 8(3): 359-374. [PDF]
- J. Fan, Y. X. Zhang, and L. Q. Wang* (2010), Formation of nanoliter bubbles in microfluidic T-junctions, NANO, 5(3): 175-184. [PDF]
- Y. X. Zhang, J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2009), Formation of nanoliter droplets in a confined microfluidic T-shaped junction: formation time and droplet volume, Current Nanoscience, 5(4): 519-526. [PDF]
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2011), Heat conduction in nanofluids: structure-property correlation, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 54: 4349-4359. [PDF]
- C. Zeng, W. Deng*, J. Fan, K. Liu (2020), Investigation of the Resonance of Nonwetting Droplet in Constricted Capillary Tubes, Geophysics, 85(2)ID1. [External Link]
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2010), Is classical energy equation adequate for convective heat transfer in nanofluids?, Advances in Mechanical Engineering, 2010: 719406.
- Invited paper
- J. Fan^, Y. Li^, H. H. Bisoyi, R. S. Zola, D. Yang, T. J. Bunning, D. A. Weitz, and Q. Li* (2014), Light-directing omnidirectional circularly polarized reflection from liquid crystal droplets, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 54(7): 2160-2164.
- Selected as ‘Very Important Paper’ (VIP) of the journal
- A. Anbari+, H.-T. Chien+, S. S. Datta*, W. Deng, D. A. Weitz, and J. Fan* (2018), Microfluidic model porous media: fabrication and applications , Small, 14(18)1703575.
- C. Zhao*, J. Fan, D. Chen, Y. Xu, and T. Wang (2016), Microfluidics-generated graphene oxide microspheres and their application to removal of perfluorooctane sulfonate from polluted water, Nano Research, 9(3)866-875.
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2010), Microstructural effects on macroscale thermal properties in nanofluids, NANO, 5(2): 117-125.
- L. Q. Wang*, and J. Fan (2011), Modeling bioheat transport at macroscale, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, 133(1): 011010. [PDF]
- S. Li, H. Yu, and J. Fan* (2021), Modeling Transport of Soft Particles in Porous Media, Physical Review E, in print.
- L. Q. Wang*, and J. Fan (2010), Nanofluids research: key issues, Nanoscale Research Letters, 5(8): 1241-1252. [PDF]
- L. Wang, D. Chen, K. G. Gutierrez-Cuevas, H. K. Bisoyi, J. Fan, R. S. Zola, G. Li, A. M. Urbas, T. J. Bunning, D. A. Weitz, and Q. Li* (2017), Optically reconfigurable chiral microspheres of self-organized helical superstructures with handedness inversion, Materials Horizons, 41190-1195.
- L. Chen^, Y. Li^, J. Fan, H. K. Bisoyi, D. A. Weitz, and Q. Li* (2014), Photoresponsive monodisperse cholesteric liquid crystalline micro-shells for tunable omnidirectional lasing enabled by a visible light-driven chiral molecular switch, Advanced Optical Materials, 2(9): 845-848.
- L. Wang+, M. Wang, G. Wan, X. Guo, X. Xie, W. Liu, Y. Zhang, J. Fan, X. Hou, Z. Chen* (2020), Porosity-tunable structures with “fossilized” bubbles, ACS Applied Polymer Materials, 2(2)497-504.
- Y. He, S. Battat+, J. Fan, A. Abbaspourrad, and D. A. Weitz* (2017), Preparation of microparticles through co-flowing of partially miscible liquids, Chemical Engineering Journal , 320144-150.
- Zeng, W. Deng, J. Fan, and K. Liu (2020), Reply to comments on “Investigation of the resonance of nonwetting droplets in constricted capillary tubes” (Chao Zeng, Wen Deng, Jing Fan, and Kelly H. Liu, Geophysics, 85, no. 2, 1D1-1D17), Geophysics, 85(6): X3-X5.
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2011), Review of heat conduction in nanofluids, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, 133(4): 040801.
- Top 0.1% most-cited for a 2011 article in engineering according to ISI Web of Knowledge Essential Science Indicators
- K. Jiang+, Y. Dong+, C. Gao+, M. Huang+, C. Wen+, A. Anbari+, A. Kanthe, C. Maldarelli, and J. Fan* (2020), Self-secured, Multilayered Flow Focusing Microcapillary Device Provides Facile Assembly and Potential Standardization.
- S. B. Zhou^, J. Fan^, S. Datta, M. Guo, X. Guo, and D. A. Weitz* (2013), Thermally switched release from nanoparticle colloidosomes, Advanced Functional Materials, 23: 5925-5929. [PDF]
- L. Q. Wang*, and J. Fan (2011), Toward nanofluids of ultra-high thermal conductivity, Nanoscale Research Letters, 6: 153. [PDF]
- C-H. Choi, H. Lee, A. Abbaspourrad, J. H. Kim, J. Fan, M. Caggioni, C. Wesner, T. Zhu, and D. A. Weitz* (2016), Triple emulsion drops with an ultrathin water layer: high encapsulation efficiency and enhanced cargo retention in microcapsules, Advanced Materials, 28(17): 3340-3344.
- S. Li+, H. Yu, T.-D. Li, Z. Chen, W. Deng, A. Anbari+, and J. Fan* (2020), Understanding transport of an elasticspherical particle through a confining channel, Applied Physics Letters, 116103705.
- J. Fan, K. Jiang, Y. Dong, M. Huang, and C. Gao (2019) Device and method for forming an emulsion, US Provisional Patent Application, 62/892,xxx.
- Z. Chen and J. Fan (2020), See-through face mask and filtration system for the same, US Provisional Patent Application
- D. A. Weitz, A. Abbaspourrad, J. Fan, and Weixia Zhang (2016) Systems and methods for making and using gel microspheres, U.S. Patent Publication No.: WO2017066231 A1.