- J. Fan, S. Li, Z. Wu, and Z. Chen (2018) Diffusion and mixing in microfluidic devices, in Microfluidics for Pharmaceutical Applications: From Nano/Micro Systems Fabrication to Controlled Drug Delivery, edited by H. Santos, D. Liu, and H. Zhang, Elsevier, Oxford.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
^equal contribution | +student advised | *corresponding author
- S. Li+, H. Yu, and J. Fan* (2021), Modeling Transport of Soft Particles in Porous Media, Physical Review E 104: 025112.
- Zeng, W. Deng, J. Fan, and K. Liu (2020), Reply to comments on “Investigation of the resonance of nonwetting droplets in constricted capillary tubes” (Chao Zeng, Wen Deng, Jing Fan, and Kelly H. Liu, Geophysics, 85, no. 2, 1D1-1D17), Geophysics, 85(6): X3-X5.
- Ruiz-Garcia+, M. C.-Sarabia, S. G.-Jimeno, C. Wen+, A. Anbari+, D. Maspoch, E. G.-Montoya, and J. Fan* (2020), Efficient microfluidic co-encapsulation of NADHVitamin Cphosphatidylserine and coenzyme Q10 in monodisperse giant unilamellar vesicles (GUVs), in preparation.
- K. Jiang+, Y. Dong+, C. Gao+, M. Huang+, C. Wen+, A. Anbari+, A. Kanthe, C. Maldarelli, and J. Fan* (2020), Self-secured, Multilayered Flow Focusing Microcapillary Device Provides Facile Assembly and Potential Standardization, in preparation.
- L. Wang+, M. Wang, G. Wan, X. Guo, X. Xie, W. Liu, Y. Zhang, J. Fan, X. Hou, Z. Chen* (2020), Porosity-tunable structures with “fossilized” bubbles, ACS Applied Polymer Materials, 2(2)497-504.
- S. Li+, H. Yu, T.-D. Li, Z. Chen, W. Deng, A. Anbari+, and J. Fan* (2020), Understanding transport of an elasticspherical particle through a confining channel, Applied Physics Letters, 116103705.
- C. Zeng, W. Deng*, J. Fan, K. Liu (2020), Investigation of the Resonance of Nonwetting Droplet in Constricted Capillary Tubes, Geophysics, 85(2)ID1. [External Link]
- C. Zeng, W. Deng*, J. Fan*, and Y. Zhang (2020), Effect of flow profiles on the flow subjected to oscillation forcing: an example of droplet mobilization in constricted tubes, Journal of Hydrology, 583124295. [External Link]
- C.-P. Spatarelu^, H. Zhang^, D. T. Nguyen^, X. Han, R. Liu, Q. Guo, J. Notbohm, J. Fan, L. Liu, Z. Chen* (2019), Biomechanics of Collective Cell Migration in Cancer Progression– Experimental and Computational Methods., ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 5(8)3766-3787.
- L. Wang^+, D. Wang^, S. Huang^, X. Guo, G. Wan, J. Fan and Z. Chen* (2019), Controllable Shape Changing and Distinct tri-stability of Bilayer Composite., ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 11 (18): 16881-16887.
- G. Zhou, G. Yang, X. Li, B. Chen, J. Fan, X. Hou, and S. Zhou* (2018), A flexible polymer ultra-fine fiber with extreme toughness, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 10(17)14276-14280.
- A. Anbari+, H.-T. Chien+, S. S. Datta*, W. Deng, D. A. Weitz, and J. Fan* (2018), Microfluidic model porous media: fabrication and applications , Small, 14(18)1703575.
- X. Guo, L. Wang+, K. Duval, J. Fan, S. Zhou, and Z. Chen* (2018), Dimeric drug polymeric micelles with acid-active tumor targeting and FRET-indicated drug release, Advanced Materials, 30(3)1705436.
- D. Chen, E. Amstad, C. X. Zhao, L. Cai, J. Fan, Q. Chen, M. Hai, S. Koehler, H. Zhang, F. Liang, Z. Yang, and D. A. Weitz* (2017), Biocompatible amphiphilic hydrogel-solid dimer particles as colloidal surfactants, ACS Nano, 11(12)11978-11985.
- L. Wang, D. Chen, K. G. Gutierrez-Cuevas, H. K. Bisoyi, J. Fan, R. S. Zola, G. Li, A. M. Urbas, T. J. Bunning, D. A. Weitz, and Q. Li* (2017), Optically reconfigurable chiral microspheres of self-organized helical superstructures with handedness inversion, Materials Horizons, 41190-1195.
- J. Fan^, S.-H. Kim^, Z. Chen, S. Zhou, E. Amstad, T. Lin, and D. A. Weitz* (2017), Creation of faceted polyhedral microgels from compressed emulsions, Small, 131701256.
- Y. He, S. Battat+, J. Fan, A. Abbaspourrad, and D. A. Weitz* (2017), Preparation of microparticles through co-flowing of partially miscible liquids, Chemical Engineering Journal , 320144-150.
- C. Zhao*, J. Fan, D. Chen, Y. Xu, and T. Wang (2016), Microfluidics-generated graphene oxide microspheres and their application to removal of perfluorooctane sulfonate from polluted water, Nano Research, 9(3)866-875.
- C-H. Choi, H. Lee, A. Abbaspourrad, J. H. Kim, J. Fan, M. Caggioni, C. Wesner, T. Zhu, and D. A. Weitz* (2016), Triple emulsion drops with an ultrathin water layer: high encapsulation efficiency and enhanced cargo retention in microcapsules, Advanced Materials, 28(17): 3340-3344.
- J. Fan^, Y. Li^, H. H. Bisoyi, R. S. Zola, D. Yang, T. J. Bunning, D. A. Weitz, and Q. Li* (2014), Light-directing omnidirectional circularly polarized reflection from liquid crystal droplets, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 54(7): 2160-2164.
- Selected as ‘Very Important Paper’ (VIP) of the journal
- L. Chen^, Y. Li^, J. Fan, H. K. Bisoyi, D. A. Weitz, and Q. Li* (2014), Photoresponsive monodisperse cholesteric liquid crystalline micro-shells for tunable omnidirectional lasing enabled by a visible light-driven chiral molecular switch, Advanced Optical Materials, 2(9): 845-848.
- S. Datta, A. Abbaspourrad, E. Amstad, J. Fan, S-H. Kim, M. Romanowsky, H. C. Shum, B. J. Sun, A. S. Utada, M. Windbergs, S. Zhou, and D. A. Weitz* (2014), Double emulsion template solid microcapsules: mechanics and controlled release, Advanced Materials, 26(14): 2205-2218. [PDF]
- S. B. Zhou^, J. Fan^, S. Datta, M. Guo, X. Guo, and D. A. Weitz* (2013), Thermally switched release from nanoparticle colloidosomes, Advanced Functional Materials, 23: 5925-5929. [PDF]
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2011), Heat conduction in nanofluids: structure-property correlation, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 54: 4349-4359. [PDF]
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2011), Analytical theory of bioheat transport, Journal of Applied Physics, 109(10): 104702.
- Selected for the June 12011 issue ofVirtual Journal of Biological Physics Research
- L. Q. Wang*, and J. Fan (2011), Toward nanofluids of ultra-high thermal conductivity, Nanoscale Research Letters, 6: 153. [PDF]
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2011), Review of heat conduction in nanofluids, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, 133(4): 040801.
- Top 0.1% most-cited for a 2011 article in engineering according to ISI Web of Knowledge Essential Science Indicators
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2011), A general bioheat model at macroscale, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 54(1-3): 722-726. [PDF]
- L. Q. Wang*, and J. Fan (2011), Modeling bioheat transport at macroscale, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, 133(1): 011010. [PDF]
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2010), Constructal design of nanofluids, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 53(19-20): 4238-4247. [PDF]
- L. Q. Wang*, and J. Fan (2010), Nanofluids research: key issues, Nanoscale Research Letters, 5(8): 1241-1252. [PDF]
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2010), Effective thermal conductivity of nanofluids: the effects of microstructure, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 43(16): 165501. [PDF]
- J. Fan, Y. X. Zhang, and L. Q. Wang* (2010), Formation of nanoliter bubbles in microfluidic T-junctions, NANO, 5(3): 175-184. [PDF]
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2010), Microstructural effects on macroscale thermal properties in nanofluids, NANO, 5(2): 117-125.
- J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2010), Is classical energy equation adequate for convective heat transfer in nanofluids?, Advances in Mechanical Engineering, 2010: 719406.
- Invited paper
- Y. X. Zhang, J. Fan, and L. Q. Wang* (2009), Formation of nanoliter droplets in a confined microfluidic T-shaped junction: formation time and droplet volume, Current Nanoscience, 5(4): 519-526. [PDF]
- J. Fan, L. Q. Wang*, and L. Cheng (2007), Electrokinetic effects on flow and heat transfer in parallel-plate microchannels, International Journal of Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, 8(3): 335-345.
- J. Fan, L. Q. Wang*, and L. Cheng (2007), Forced convection in rectangular microchannels: electrokinetic effects, International Journal of Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, 8(3): 359-374. [PDF]
- Z. Chen, M. Liao, J. Fan (2022), See-through face mask and filtration system for the same, US Provisional Patent Application, 63/092,xxx.
- J. Fan, K. Jiang, Y. Dong, M. Huang, and C. Gao (2019) Device and method for forming an emulsion, US Provisional Patent Application, 62/892,xxx.
- D. A. Weitz, A. Abbaspourrad, J. Fan, and Weixia Zhang (2016) Systems and methods for making and using gel microspheres, U.S. Patent Publication No.: WO2017066231 A1.